Monday, September 23, 2013

I'm Not Quite Dead Yet!

Yes, I know the blog has been kind of silent lately.  Mostly due to the fact that I have in the interim changed jobs.  When I first started this blog, I had been 2 years into my stint in the movie biz working on CG technology and research, and now I've moved on.  In doing so, I kind of had to close out a dozen things in my last few weeks at my last job (lest I leave things unfinished and walk out the doors with fairly significant stuff not available for people to use), and that meant being insanely busy.  With no lag time in between my previous job and my new job, it meant having to run like crazy for weeks.  As such, the blog went silent for a while.  But that was temporary.


In the meantime, I also found myself with all the more ire roused at California drivers.  But given all I said the first time around, I don't think I could say anything about it this time around that is new.  The same admonishments still apply; just many times larger font.  In switching to the new job, one of the presumed benefits was that I should have expected a significantly quicker commute.  After all, to my old job, I had to drive just over 30 miles for my commute.  Typically, my commute then ranged anywhere from 75-90 minutes.  Though it was almost always much worse on the drive back than on the drive there.  Worst ever in the past 4 years was 2 hours 28 minutes.  In clear traffic (e.g. when I worked on holidays), I could make it in just under 35 minutes.  Although this past year, I resorted to using the train a lot more.  Express trains + the shuttle to the office could trim my regular commute to about 45 minutes, but even the non-express could get me around at the worst equal to driving, except without the driving part.  Now I don't use the train (it's not free for me anymore), but I only have to drive 11 miles instead of 30...  and it takes... 40-45 minutes.  Now, I admit that a large part of the reason for this is because I don't commute to work at early hours anymore, but the result of this is that the same unfathomable stupidity that causes the traffic to be completely "fubar"-ed by a single person changing lanes.  While my position hasn't changed by being exposed to more of the stupidity, I would say it has gotten to the point where I would put it as something that, in a tongue-in-cheek sense, demands capital punishment.  Not because I think it's that heinous -- if anything religious stupidity is orders of magnitude more heinous -- but because it's a stupidity that increases your likelihood of an untimely death.  It's far more efficient to just die quickly.

More to the point about the blog itself, I've also engaged in a few online conversations and email debates that relate to religion, pseudo-scientific bullshit, alt-med, presumed-to-be-new apologetics that aren't, politics, and much more that will feed new posts to come.  In some cases, I'm planning to try and distill the ideas down a bit to make a larger point, and in others, I'm planning to include a straight up transcript of the exchanges with some additional commentary because I feel it'll illustrate better the way people try to argue their idiotic viewpoints, and in some cases, how insanely off their rockers they really are.  This is especially the case with some people whose idea of arguing is... well...  I don't think I can do it justice with mere adjectives.  You'll just have to wait and see.

BTW, I'm hoping everybody got the Monty Python reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment